Sat 25th June – 3rd XI v Old Rutlishians

DULWICH 233-3 dec (48.1) match abandoned vs OLD RUTLISHIANS


After a welcome return to home turf the 3rd XI suffered a setback with biblical rainfall at tea scuppering any chance of returning to play after posting a challenging total in some style.

First things first. Huge credit has to go to all the team at DSG for getting the pitch and ground in such a fit state for play after the epic midweek rain – the players are all grateful and it was shame all their hard work came to nothing. The team gathered in confident mood, well 10 of the 11 did as Euan Johnson had gone missing in action – well missing asleep to be more precise. After eventually arriving half an hour after the start he remained coy about his reasons but it turns out it was everyone’s fault but his own – the nightclub the previous night for staying open so late, his sister for not waking him up, etc. But, ever the mummy’s boy, he had found time to buy his mum some flowers – nice touch but he was placed very firmly in the captain’s doghouse!

Skipper Graeme Hough lost the toss for the first time this season and Old Ruts inserted Dulwich to bat. James Chudley and Guy Woodgate strode out to open and quickly got in to their stride against some wayward bowling. In no time 50 was on the board at close to five an over, at which point Chudley went fishing and was caught behind for 24. Enter Chris Stone, who the previous week had shown admirable defiance against a testing Reigate attack, found Old Ruts’ bowling more to his liking as he quickly got into his stride. Runs continued at a fair rate of knots until persistent rain forced a slight delay.

Six overs were lost so the need to crack on with things was imperative. The second wicket fell after the dreaded drinks break, Woodgate plum LBW for a well-crafted 46 – clear jug evasion territory which Guy bowed to later in the bar. But an excellent innings on his first appearance in the 3rd XI this season. Enter Andrew Inglis who kept the momentum going, whilst Stone continuedto punish some errant bowling with a string of boundaries and many other pleasing shots. The run rate increased but the dark clouds were looming, and with thunder and lightning in the background, things were not looking great. After a rather unseemly and unnecessary spat with the opposition, Inglis moved to his 50 – well 52 actually before apprentice scorer Chudley realised he had reached 50! Stone fell for an excellent 73 mistiming to give a simple catch, his second 50 in two weeks and great to see. Dan Peters entered the fray, to provide possibly the most argumentative batting partnership you could imagine with Inglis, and flayed a couple of boundaries – to the leg side of course! With Armageddon-type clouds approaching skipper Hough declared after 42.5 overs on 233 for 3 to leave 52 overs back.

Covers on, tea taken but the heavens opened and that was that. No chance of returning as parts of the outfield resembled a lake – the nearby moored boat almost began to float once again as it had midweek.

The team began a long stint at the bar and gave some boisterous support to the 2s who had managed to return to play for a 20-over bash which was pretty much in vain. Wimbledon looms next week for a top of the table clash with the hope for better weather and a full game.

Twitter Digg Delicious Stumbleupon Technorati Facebook Email

parajumpers pas cher parajumpers pas cher tn pas cher nike tn pas cher louboutin pas cher louboutin pas cher hogan outlet hogan outlet hogan outlet hogan outlet hogan outlet moncler outlet moncler outlet moncler outlet online moncler outlet online moncler outlet online woolrich outlet woolrich outlet moncler outlet golden goose outlet golden goose outlet golden goose saldi golden goose saldi