Sat 24th June – 5th XI v Wickham Park

DULWICH 164-8 (40) beat WICKHAM PARK 116 (30) by 48 runs


Well the vagaries of selection hit again.  The week before we had strong teams (on paper, not in terms of results) in the 5s and 6s but all change for this week as only Begg and Peters retained their places.

Tim (standing in for Jack Rutherford) lost the toss and we were put in by Whickham Park. David Cook and Aidan Reeves opened both playing at this level for the first time in a couple of years and despite some early tight bowling from the opposition put on a fifty opening stand. Cooky fell caught and bowled for 21 and Nick Rochford soon followed. Simon Bailey and Aidan then put together a small partnership and we made it to drinks just two down with almost 70 on the board.  Aidan brought up a well deserved half century but lost his concentration soon after out for 51. Alf Grimsey playing as a specialist batsmen didn't get going so we were 99 for 4. Tim Brown then put together two thirty partnerships, firstly w Simon Bailey (26) and then with a slightly becalmed John Comerford (12). Tim also managed to escape injury as he top edged a short ball onto the peak of his cap before he was bowled to one that didn't bounce much at all. The innings sort of petered out but not before David Begg pulled a muscle in a scramble for a second run. We ended up 164 for 8 off our 40 which was sort of a par score.

After tea opening bowlers Kanak Patel (2 for a miserly 12 off 10, although a few too many balls were legside) and Simon Peters both bowled good spells and the opposition skipper also managed to pull a muscle and had to retire hurt. Beggsy dropped a difficult juggling catch at slip and then Tim took a similar one off Kanak where he was definitely heard to swear between parrying the first attempt and taking the second. The wickets continued to fall but most Whickham park bats continued to attack. There was a bit of a friendly fire dispute as Nick didn't dive for one stop in the field off Simon. Luke Howard got in a spat w the umpire and one of the opposition batsmen and the skipper had to get involved to calm down the fiery left armer. Luke used this anger to good effect bowling a clever spell of 4 for 22 off 7 including bouncing out the batsmen he'd had the slight disagreement with. 

David Begg, although struggling with his injury, bowled 4 overs from one end (the long legside boundary) and took a couple of wickets as the team continued to catch well. Davids last over went for a few runs as this time it was Simon Peters who was in the fielding firing line. He did dive just not in a way that stopped the ball. Their skipper returned with a runner but two balls later departed in agony having been snared by the wiley Begg.

In a clever tactical switch Tim managed to a) change ends for Beggsy b) got himself a one over fitness test after cracked ribs and with the aforementioned large legside boundary and c) saved Luke buying a jug as David finished the innings off. They had managed 116 all out and we took a win by 48.

With a bye next week all the other teams in the division play their game in hand but we are guaranteed to go into the second half of the season in second place. A title and a promotion challenge is possible if we continue the form we have shown so far.

Twitter Digg Delicious Stumbleupon Technorati Facebook Email

parajumpers pas cher parajumpers pas cher tn pas cher nike tn pas cher louboutin pas cher louboutin pas cher hogan outlet hogan outlet hogan outlet hogan outlet hogan outlet moncler outlet moncler outlet moncler outlet online moncler outlet online moncler outlet online woolrich outlet woolrich outlet moncler outlet golden goose outlet golden goose outlet golden goose saldi golden goose saldi